There are 3 ways to get to Machu Picchu: through the Inca Trail, with the long route by Hydroelectric and by train. If you are not one of the people who enjoy outdoor walks, you should choose the train ride. The train to Machu Picchu is a beautiful journey through the Sacred Valley of the Incas to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town), at the foot of the Wonder of the World. Here we tell you which is the best train from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
How to get to Machu Picchu by train?
To get to Machu Picchu by train, you must book tickets online in advance. It is recommended to do it immediately after knowing the date of visit to the Wonder of the World.
Once in the city of Cusco (Peru), the visitor must approach the chosen train station (Poroy, Urubamba or Ollantaytambo station). It is advisable to be 30 minutes before the scheduled travel time.
All train services have as their final destination, the town of Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town). From there it only remains to board one of the buses that lead to the door of Machu Picchu in approximately 30 minutes.
The reservation of train tickets
To reserve train tickets you must enter the website of the only 2 companies that provide the service: Peru Rail or Inca Rail.
It is important to make the reservation as soon as you know the date of entry to Machu Picchu. Tickets are as much in demand as tickets to the Wonder of the World.
Peru Rail or Inca Rail – Which one to choose to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
There are two companies with authorization to travel the train tracks to Machu Picchu: Peru Rail and Inca Rail.
- Peru Rail has 4 services of different qualities: Vistadome, Expedition, Sacred Valley trains and the Hiram Bingham luxury train.
- Inca Rail has 4 different services: The Voyager, The 360º, The First Class and The Private.
Both train companies have adequate services for tourists. Below we detail which is the best train from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
Peru Rail is the oldest company authorized to operate the Machu Picchu route. It has different services. Its website is www.perurail.com.
- Vistadome: It is a train with wide carriages, with panoramic windows on the roof and sides that will allow you to take pictures of the entire route through the valley.
- Expedition: The Expedition has wagons fully covered by panoramic windows and on board service, snacks and Peruvian food.
- Sacred Valley: This train connects Urubamba with Machu Picchu in a luxury trip through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Includes lunch (or dinner) in the observatory car or dining car.
- Belmond Hiram Bingham: It is one of the most luxurious trains in the world, exclusive and with all-on-board service. It has 4 cars, dining car, bar car, gourmet dinner, transportation and tickets to Machu Picchu.
Inca Rail is a Peruvian company that offers rail transportation services from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu. Their website is www.incarail.com.
- The Voyager: The cars have comfortable seats, folding tables and panoramic windows. Set with Latin American music. There is service on board and a selection of drinks.
- The 360º: They have large panoramic windows, set with Latin American music, on board service, with a selection of hot and cold drinks, as well as sale of artisan products on board.
- The First Class: It has background music, natural flowers and covered tables. They will serve you a welcome cocktail, lunch and / or gourmet dinner. It only attends in high season of tourism (from April to October) and special dates.
- The Private: With capacity for 8 people. The car, known as the «Inca Princess» is of the presidential class. The car has many details in its decoration, food on board, open bar. This train operates by request only.
Where to board the trains to Machu Picchu?
There are 3 boarding stations for outbound trains. There is only one station to board the return train.
One way train stations:
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley (Cusco).
- Poroy Station: Calle Roldan s / n, Poroy District, Cusco.
- Urubamba Station: Avenida Ferrocarril s / n, Urubamba, Sacred Valley (Cusco).
Return train stations:
- Aguas Calientes Station: Machu Picchu Pueblo, s / n, Las Orquídeas neighborhood (next to the Aguas Calientes Artisan Market).
In most cases, you will board your train to Machu Picchu at the Ollantaytambo station. Poroy station is restricted for safety during the rainy season (November to March).
The place where all the trains arrive is the Aguas Calientes station (Machu Picchu town). One block from the train station you can board the buses to Machu Picchu. They run every 15 minutes and the ticket office is right in front.
How long does the train trip to Machu Picchu take?
The duration of the train trip (one way) depends on the station where the train is boarded:
From Poroy station (Cusco): The trip lasts 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately
Best train from Cusco to Machu Picchu
We know how much you like to travel by train. Machu Picchu is one of the wonders of the world that can be visited after an incredible journey on the rails. The best thing is that you have several options to choose from and spend the best vacations in Machu Picchu. Here are the best train from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
The Vistadome Train
As a train lover, you demand the best in rail services. The best option to visit Machu Picchu is the Peru Rail Vistadome train. This train is taken from the Ollantaytambo station (approximately one hour by car from Cusco) and will travel through the landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas towards the town of Aguas Calientes.
The Vistadome train has comfortable seats for everyone, special to relax while enjoying the trip. While chatting with your partner, family or friends, you will be able to comment and contemplate the landscapes that you will see in the panoramic windows of the train. Then they will be able to enjoy the entertainment service on board: a folk dance show with typical costumes and a fashion sample made of vicuña and alpaca wool.
Hiram Bingham Luxury Train
Why not make your visit to Machu Picchu a five-star experience? The Hiram Bingham Luxury Train offers a service comparable to that of any resort or boutique restaurant in the city.
The train departs from Poroy station where you will be greeted by a group of folk dances and a glass of our national drink, the pisco sour, to enliven the start of the journey. As you enter the carriage, you will see why many tourists recommend this train: a delicate and elegant atmosphere created by the exquisite design details, natural lighting and colors of its architecture. Take your place and enjoy the journey with the beautiful landscapes of the valley.
As if that were not enough, the kitchen team has a gourmet food service for your palate and you can also enjoy the drink service on board. At the end of the train, you have a panoramic view section where you can enjoy the scenery in a 180 degree view. Before arriving in Aguas Calientes, a live Peruvian music show will accompany you. Let’s move!
Puno is one of the most visited destinations in Peru. After knowing Machu Picchu, a visit to Lake Titicaca is the experience that is needed to complete the land of the Incas. And why not take a train for the visit?
Peru Rail has the Andean Explorer service. A luxury train that will take you on a journey through the Peruvian Andes from the city of Cusco to Puno in ten hours of travel. During the journey, you will enjoy artistic shows with musical presentations, highland dances, and delicious food for your palate. Relax in an experience that will take you more than four thousand meters above the sea.
Visiting Cusco is a real adventure whose protagonist will be yourself, instead of a memorable experience, that is why Cusco is definitely one of the most incredible cities with a great variety of archaeological centers and tours such as Sacred Valley, Camino Inca or Machu Picchu. To enjoy an unforgettable experience, contact Inka Trail Backpacker, a company that will better assist you during your visit, of course it is always with the necessary advice for you and yours as well as the guarantee, responsibility and security that characterizes us. If you visit the city of Cusco another impressive destinations that you can visit are the tour to rainbow mountain peru or the humantay lake tour from cusco, which only takes one day. But if you are gonna to stay more days in Cusco, other archaeological places you can know will be the choquequirao trek peru, the salkantay trek to machu picchu, and the classic inca trail 4 days 3 nights.